Smartphone Blood Pressure Monitor for Home Use.
Table of Contents
- 1 Smartphone Blood Pressure Monitor for Home Use.
- 1.1 High or Low Blood Pressure Symptoms
- 1.2 Blood Pressure Basics
- 1.3 Clever Wireless Smartphone Blood Pressure Monitor
- 1.4 Product video
- 1.5 Specification
- 1.6 What’s in the box?
- 1.7 My opinion
- 1.8 Where Can I Buy this Smartphone Blood Pressure Montior?
- 1.9 More Info or Questions
You don’t need to go to the doctor every time you want to measure your blood pressure. With the Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor can you sit in the comfort of your own sofa and do the monitoring yourself whenever you want.
But why should you measure your own blood pressure? There are many things that can give you an indication on your health status but some symptoms is difficult to see with the bare eyes. The blood pressure is one of those things but it’s easy to monitor with the right tools like a smartphone blood pressure monitor and it is important to keep an eye on.
Even if you in general are healthy you should check your blood pressure once in a while, but it’s no need to exaggerate if you don’t have a condition you need to control.
|Withings BPM – Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor: Medically Accurate, Fsa-Eligible, Easy to Use, Syncs with Free App for Apple & Android, New||$179.99|
High or Low Blood Pressure Symptoms
High blood pressure, called hypertension, can lead to coronary heart disease, heart failure, kidney failure or stroke. It’s almost impossible to feel high blood pressure since it has no external symptoms. That’s why it is so dangerous.
1 in 3 American adults have hypertension and many don’t know about it. Obesity, large alcohol intake, smoking and family history are risk factors. If you have hypertension your doctor will subscribe you with medication to lower it.
The symptoms of low blood pressure, called hypotension, are easier to fell. They are light-headedness, dizziness and eventually fainting. Low blood pressure is usually not unhealthy, but can be dangerous to organs over a long period of time.
Blood Pressure Basics
Just a few quick more facts about blood pressure before we continue over to the smartphone blood pressure monitor. Blood pressure is measured in millimetres of mercury (mm Hg).
If you are an adult and you rest, a normal blood pressure reading will be between 90/60 and 139/80 mm Hg. The two numbers describe the Systolic pressure over Diastolic pressure. Systolic is a Greek word meaning “contraction” and is the pressure when your heart is pumping. Diastolic refers to the pressure in the heart when it rests between heartbeats.
Here are low and high blood pressure chart for adults:
|(mm Hg)||Systolic (first number)||Diastolic (second number)|
|Hypotension (Low BP)||Less than 90||Less than 60|
|Stage 1 hypertension||140-159||90-99|
|Stage 2 hypertension||160-179||100-109|
|Hypertensive emergency||Eq. or more than 180||Eq. or more than 110|
Clever Wireless Smartphone Blood Pressure Monitor
When you monitor your blood pressure it is usually done by a tight band or cuff on your upper arm. That is exactly how the Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor made by the health gadget manufacturer Withings works. The build quality is solid and the box it comes in can be used for storage.
First you need to install the free Withings Health Mate app on your smartphone or tablet. Both Android devices and iPhone is supported. In fact you can use this device with over 100 other apps as well. You pair the Smartphone Blood Pressure Monitor and your phone or table with Bluetooth by pushing a button on the part that looks like a tube with the pre-installed AAA batteries.
Then you place the cuff around your upper arm, fasten it and start the measuring program on your app. The unit will inflate and you will see the readings in real time. You can choose to do a single high accuracy reading or do three readings and it will calculate the average.
Hopefully you will get a reading as a normal resting blood pressure for an adult on approximately 120/80 mm Hg. Keep in mind that readings can vary if you are stressed, tired or excited.
Your monitoring history is also possible to see on the Withings website and it is stored so you can always look at previous measurements. All the details can off course be shared with your doctor and in cases of high blood pressure it’s the doctor you should trust and talk to.
- Weight 0.45 kg
- Use AAA batteries
- Cuff oscillometric measuring method
- Automatic inflation and release
- Connects with Bluetooth (both ordinary and BLE)
- Works with Android and iPhone
- Free app called Health Mate available on App store and Google Play
What’s in the box?
- Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor
- Quick Start Guide
- Small USB adapter
- 4x AAA batteries (installed)
|Pros +||Cons –|
Where Can I Buy this Smartphone Blood Pressure Montior?
It is easy and convenient to buy this product on Amazon:
- FSA-ELIGIBLE ITEM - If you have a flexible spending account with your employee health plan, no doctor’s prescription is needed to purchase a Withings BPM
- HIGH-ACCURACY – Ideal for monitoring blood pressure at home or on the go. Cuff fits arm circumference from 9 to 17 inches (22 to 42 cm)
- EASY - App launches automatically and provides instant color-coded feedback
- AUTOMATIC SYNCHRONIZATION - Data from every measurement appears in the Health Mate app via Bluetooth (iOS8+ and Android 5+)
- Delivers color-coded results and advice based on internationally-recognized standards
- SHARE WITH YOUR DOCTOR - Easily email a full report to your health care provider
- Nokia Health is now Withings. Same products, same team, same commitment to your health. For more information, contact our support.
More Info or Questions
If you want more info before buying, check out the reviews from other Withings users here.
Do you have any questions or comments on my Withings Smartphone Blood Pressure Monitor review, do not hesitate to leave me a comment below.